Sunday, February 12, 2006

Interesting choice

As pointed out by Adnan in the comments of my previous post - it's surprising that I choose the D2H over cameras such as the D200 and the D2X. I've researched this camera and competing cameras over the past year and I decided that I must get the D2H over any other cameras; purely for practicality.

I shoot, variously, with the D70; great camera, too many jpeg artifacts, and it feels like a toy; I need a camera that is strong enough to take a bullet. I take pictures like there is no tomorrow; I need a camera that can take upwards of 150,000 actuations per drive motor. I print at the largest 8 by 10; I need a camera that can do that. The list goes on... in each case, the D2H was ahead of the pack in all regards. Sure I could go and get the D2X, but then I would be loosing the fast shutter and fast autofocus system to a few measly pixels - I never print that big anyway so the extra pixel here and there would be lost. D200 - I considered this camera, but the viewfinder isn't as good as the D2H in my opinion; plus, the battery grip is just incredible on the d2h.

I will start posting images from this new system in the days to come. At the current, school is literally taking every second away from my life.... I had bad undergrad semesters, but this is grad school overkill!

3 comments:

Aisha said...

wow I have no idea what any of that meant but i'm glad to hear you'll be posting pictures again soon :)

Anostica said...

nice camera talk..but you know it'd be better if you use that equipment and show us some pics YO!

Anonymous said...

If you like large viewfinders, you would have loved my old Rolleiflex!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/carrerafan/top.jpg

No autofocus, no metering, but nothing from any digital can match the look of medium format Velvia on a lightbox.

I mostly use a digital camera these days because of the ease of switching ISO's, the expense of film and black & white chemistry and the time it took to scan the negatives, but I'm still having trouble matching the way Kodak Tri-X or HP5+ looked. Hard to describe, probably a texture thing in addition to how forgiving those old B&W films are of exposure and how there was always some detail in the highlights. *sigh*

Anyway, congrats and Godspeed, young man. With great metering, autofocus, and frames per second comes great responsibility. I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them. -Diane Arbus

:)